UKEARTS-WORK starting map

Regular video updates will be posted here

EU and all third country nationals entering the UK for work

Working permit/visa requirements, for EU nationals and all other third country nationals for work within the UK.
NB. if you have legal residency AND the right to work in the UK this page does not apply.

Since the UK exited the EU all this all applies to all third country nationals unless resident in the UK with the right to work (NOTE: Irish passport holders may work in the entire Island of Ireland AND the UK without any restrictions
EU citizens will be treated as third country nationals and we now know that for visits for up to 90 days a simple CoS (Certificate of Sponsorship).
Upon entry to the UK the artists in question MUST present themselves to an immigration official NOT through the E gates and present the CoS, plus evidence of being able to support yourself whilst in the country, plus get their passport stamped. If you do not have your passport stamped, you may be considered to be working illegally in the UK and will risk deportation.

Please note these two essential extracts from the webpage (link above)
Temporary Worker - Creative visa (T5) concession
You can enter the UK without applying for a visa in advance if you:

  • have a valid Temporary Worker - Creative and Sporting visa (T5) Certificate of Sponsorship
  • are coming to work in the UK for 3 months or less
  • do not normally need a visa to enter the UK as a visitor
  • You must still meet the Temporary Worker - Creative visa (T5) eligibility criteria.
    Money to support yourself
    You must have at least £1,270 in your bank account to show you can support yourself in the UK.
    You will need to have had the money available for at least 28 days in a row. Day 28 must be within 31 days of applying for this visa.
    You'll usually need to show proof of this when you apply, unless either:

  • you've been in the UK with a valid visa for at least 12 months
  • your employer can cover your costs during your first month in the UK, up to £1,270
  • So here you now have it, as long as your employer can attest to covering costs at £1270 per person in the form of a letter and you have a CoS plus contract copies all should be fine.
    PLEASE NOTE CoS issuers in the UK can be any registered Sponsor, as I have been for many years - and as has my colleague Mark Ringwood. Many venues and festivals will not be registered. Also a CoS can be single entry OR multiple entry - ask your Sponsor if you need multiple entry.
    Your agents/manager should be able to source someone to sponsor you and supply a CoS. Costs vary but are not in any way comparable with the costs for applying for Visas.
    A Sponsor can only be UK-based.

    Please note also if you wish to come into the UK for work for a longer time than 90 days as a third country national then the route is via the Tier 5 creative and Sporting visa which requires both a CoS and an additional payment.
    Details and reference link to gov website here:
    Application fees for the visa are separate from any fees you may pay your 3rd party sponsor if required Fees for the visa will include the application fee plus any fees payable at a visa centre when attending for biometrics etc plus if the visa is for over 6 months the NHS surcharge (National health service).
    The fee is the same whether you're applying from inside or outside the UK.

    NOTE: You can also enter the UK through the Permitted Paid Engagement concession route - also known as PPE. A CoS is not required for this but in order to be eligible you need to be recognised as an EXPERT in your field and you must have been invited in the role of your MAIN overseas job. You can only work for one month. Several UK Festivals and Prime Venues operate this option. It must be noted that this route can result in denial of entry at the point of entry and with no right of appeal. This is the same route that visa nationals can apply for in advance so you may be asked for documents to prove you have enough money to support yourself and show accommodation booked and a return ticket out of the UK. If you are allowed entry, you must receive a PPE stamp in your passport to be legal.

    Ian Smith / Mark Ringwood for UKEARTSWORK

    Please note legal DISCLAIMER